How much do you know about the creatures in these pictures? Work with a partner.
Do you know….?
- Read the questions carefully and discuss with your partner.
- Which animal is the fastest runner?
- Which animal is the fastest in the air?
- Which animal is the slowest on land?
- Which animal is the largest in the sea?
- Which animal is the longest on land?
- Which animal has the longest life on land?
- Which animal is the longest sleeper?
- Which animal has the best eyesight?
- Which animal has the best sense of smell?
- Which animal is the deadliest to humans?
- Which animal is the smartest?
- Which animal is the tallest?
- Which animal has the strongest bite?
- Which animal is the largest bird?
Match the following questions with their respective answers to learn more about these animals?
|1. How fast is a cheetah?||a. One has lived more than 250 years.|
|2. How big is a blue whale?||b. It can be up to 190 feet (57.9 m)|
|3. How long is a bootlace worm?||c. It can run 75 miles per hour.|
|4. How long does a tortoise live?||d. It sees 8 times as far as a human.|
|5. How far can an eagle see?||e. It is responsible for 750,000 deaths per year through disease transfer.|
|6. How deadly is a mosquito?||f. It can weigh up to 210 tonnes.|
- How *tall is a …?
- How powerful is a … ‘s bite?
- How slow does a … move?
- How much does a … weigh?
- How long does a … sleep per day?
- How fast can a …dive?
- How well does a … see / hear / smell?
- How smart is a …?
*Note: Use ‘tall’ to ask about creatures. Use ‘high’ to ask about inanimate things (e.g. mountains.)
- a) A giraffe can grow up to 20 feet in height (over 6 metres tall.)
- b) A peregrine falcon can dive 242 miles per hour.
- c) An elephant can detect a water source 19 kilometres away.
- d) A sloth moves 0.15 miles per hour.
- e) A saltwater crocodile’s bite is 3,700 pounds per square inch.
- f) A koala can sleep up to 22 hours per day.
- g) A chimp can use tools, communicate with complex vocalizations, and problem solve.
- h) An ostrich can grow up to 9 feet and weigh as much as 350 pounds (158.7 kilograms)